Monday, January 14, 2008

We Are on Our Way to Ethiopia!!--January 5, 2008

We really didn't get too nervous about packing. I started with lists for Gracie and that was really all I was concerned about. We would somehow manage fine. I put up the listing of donations from Julie for Hannah's Hope at work and I easily got my 50 lbs of donations. John and I packed all our things in his backpack. (This is a big backpack.) Gracie had another suitcase, and we had one donation suitcase. We also brought a stroller that we gait checked. In hind sight I really think we did a great job of packing. What I brought was 3 pair of Capri's, 3 long and 3 short sleeved shirts, and I wore jeans on the plane. That's it...except toiletries items. I left most of my clothes in Ethiopia...it made the travel back less bulky. I wore the same Capri's more than one day... I really don't think anyone cared. Even though so many said not to bring a stroller, I was glad we brought one. We used it at the Union Hotel and pushed her around the lobby... a bit outside and put her in it while we ate. We also had layovers in the airports coming home and it was great to have our hands free. We used our baby bjorn too but the stroller was nice. It is true you cannot use it at all on the streets of Ethiopia. If you stay at the Hilton I would definitely recommend one. We stayed at the Union but went for a massage at the Hilton...they have grounds to walk. For meds we brought levaquin, reglan, pepto, immodium,advil... we needed none. For Gracie we brought tylenol, saline nasal drops, bulb syringe (she had a cold..I am an expert booger sucker), gas drops, Nestle good start supreme formula. No need to bring lice or scabies meds...unless you want to donate to the government run orphanage. We were not advised to and did not take any malaria drugs. Oh..we did pack some comfort foods but gave most of them to Almaz. Some we gave to people on the street as they came to the van. My husband and Almaz found it especially funny when I gave them my protein bars (southbeach diet)...."Here you go....here is a diet bar." Oh well, it is good protein. One more thing...remember to bring dish soap. You will need to wash bottles in your hotel room.

1 comment:

A Team said...

WHAT A GREAT LIST!
THANK YOU OH SO MUCH